Cumming Veterinary Clinic provides cutting edge veterinary care for exotic pets. Exotic pet refers to any pet other than dogs and cats, and includes pet birds, rabbits, rodents, ferrets and other exotic mammals, sugar gliders, hedgehogs, reptiles and amphibians, fish, small hoofed pets like pot-bellied pigs and goats, and more!
Dr. David Martinez have been treating exotic species since graduating from veterinary school in 2002. He has completed a Masters degree in Wild Animal Health and a one year internship in exotic pet, zoo and wildlife medicine and surgery at the College of Veterinary Medicine of Georgia. Furthermore, Dr. Martinez is continuing educating himself on the latest advancements in exotic pet care.
At Cumming Veterinary Clinic, we take every possible measure to give your pets the care they deserve. As a full-service medical and surgical facility, we are prepared to provide whole-life care for your bird and exotic pet.
Dr. David Martinez does provide house call services for exotic pet collections and provides inspections for USDA permit holders. He is also available for honey bee consultation and hive bee inspection and management. For information on the new rules regarding medicine for your bees, see http://www.beeculture.com/do-i-need-a-vet-for-my-bees/
Cumming Veterinary Clinic offers regular appointments for the new pet owner. During this initial appointment, we will discuss the care, diet and husbandry of each species, their vaccinations (if needed), their need to be sterilized, and answer any other medical questions. For our clients we offer the following veterinary hospital services:
- Wellness Exams: most exotic pet species are good at hiding illness from owners. They are often prey species, therefore an important survival trick is to hide injury and illness to prevent predators from targeting them. Regular veterinary visits are important to help detect early indications of illness.
- Senior Pet Exams: most exotic pet species have shorter life spans and therefore, they face aging problems much faster than dogs and cats. For older pets, biannual examinations are recommended to help detect a problem earlier before it turns into a more serious situation.
- Vaccinations: when vaccines are indicated, we offer vaccines based on your pet's specific requirements.
- Dental care for rabbits, rodents and pot bellied pigs. Continuously growing teeth need to be properly cared for. During exams, we make sure there are no dental concerns. If so, we can perform dental services to address those needs.
- Surgery: we offer both soft tissue and orthopedic surgery. We have electrocautery (the use of an electric current to cut through tissue and stop bleeding during surgical operation) and a vessel sealing device (electrosurgery).
- Grooming: we offer grooming for mammals, birds and reptiles. Anything from nail trims, wing trims, beak trims, hoof trims, baths and general grooming.